This year marks India’s 73 rd year of independence and we as a nation have been through lots of ups and downs.
The society has changed a great deal and the legal system can be credited for that to quite an extent.
There are many decisions and landmarks which have shaped the India we
Here is a quiz to test your knowledge on some of those historical decisions. There
are ten questions with four options each.
1 What was the significance of the famous ‘Cartoons against Corruption Case’?
- The right to a fair hearing was enunciated.
- The right to express an offensive opinion was allowed.
- A distinction was made between commercial speech and political speech.
- Right to file an RTI was a fundamental right.
The Answer is: The right to express an offensive opinion was allowed.
2 Who was the first Minister of Law and Justice in India?
- B.R. Ambedkar
- Motilal Nehru
- Rajendra Prasad
- Ravi Shankar Prasad
The Answer is: B.R. Ambedkar
3 How many times has National Emergency been declared in India?
The Answer is: Thrice
4 In which case was it held that singing the National Anthem is not mandatory?
- Shreya Singhal v UOI
- Golaknath v. State of Punjab
- Bijoe Emmanuel v. State of Kerala
- Guha Sharan v. UOI
The Answe is: Bijoe Emmanuel v. State of Kerala
5 What was the most important feature of the Kesavanda Bharati judgment?
- No amendment can be made which seeks to change the basic structure of the Constitution.
- Guidelines must be passed to prevent sexual harassment at the workplace.
- Protection of minorities is important.
- The election of a Prime Minister cannot be challenged.
The Answer is: No amendment can be made which seeks to change the basic structure of the Constitution.
6 In which case it was held that secularism is part of the basic structure of Indian Constitution?
- Shayara Bano v. Union of India
- Ram Jawaya Kapoor v. State of Punjab
- SR Bommai v. UOI
- Maganbhai Patel v. UOI
The Answer is: SR Bommai v. UOI
7 What is India’s national language?
- Both (a) and (b)
- There is no national language but 22 official languages.
The Answer is: There is no national language but 22 official languages.
8 How many high courts do we have all over the country?
The Answer is: 25
9 What is the name of the famous dissenting judge in the ADM Jabalpur case?
- J. PN Bhagwati
- J. Nani Palkhivala
- J. HR Khanna
- J. DY Chandrachud
The Answer is: J. HR Khanna
10 Which was the first ever PIL to be filed in India?
- MC Mehta v. UOI
- Sunil Batra v. Delhi Admin
- Mumbai Kamgar Sabha v. M/s Abdulbhai Faizullabhai
- Charanlal Sahu v. UOI
The Answer is: Mumbai Kamgar Sabha v. M/s Abdulbhai Faizullabhai